Sunday, October 23, 2011

You only get what you give.

The title of the one and only hit from an obscure pop band called the New Radicals is very true. Generally people expect blessings without putting in the effort but what they end up with is usually what they deserve. This of course is not always the case and at times people get undeserved windfalls or hardships but 99% of the time where you end up is exactly where you were aimed.

In recent times I have been working very diligently on my character defects. Every time I find an issue and start working to resolve it another issue starts becoming more obvious to me. I've been working on accepting authority and being as compliant as possible to those placed above me. It is working and I can see progress in that area. However, I like to think of myself as a thoughtful person but at times I can show a total lack of discretion with my tongue. I offer up my personal opinion on people and situations I have no right to be speaking on. Even after recognizing this earlier this week and realizing my need to change it I found myself doing this over and over again. I don't mean breaking a confidence. When people tell me things, deep personal things, I am very good at keeping that to myself. What I'm talking about is my judging of people I barely know. Using my God given talent of perceiving and wasting it. Tearing others down instead of building them up.

Now I speak positively about others for the most part but not always. So if I only get what I give then I can expect others to be judging me. Seeing a small portion of my personality and mocking it instead of holding back their personal take until they have more fact to base it on. I certainly don't like that prospect so I have to commit to deepening my commitment to hold my tongue. The book of James has many great teachings and in one of them he talks about the tongue....

With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers and sisters, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.  James 3:9-12

As you see, this is not a new issue for people. Apparently 2000 years ago people were battling this problem.

I resolve to be a spring of encouragement. Anyone I've ever met has had at least one good quality if I have got to know them good enough. I'm pretty good at getting along with people and finding the positives in people. I just want to focus my energies on those positives and concentrate on those. If someone asks me about somebody else I should only share what is uplifting about that person if I share anything at all. Perception becomes reality so putting positive vibes out their can reap a harvest of positive results.

So that is my task because you really do "get what you give" in life.

So I humbly suggest to you to be quick to listen but slow to speak(James 1:19). Measure your words carefully and thoughtfully. This I am continuing to learn and integrate into my life and I hope it is an encouragement to you also.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment