Saturday, October 29, 2011

The trouble with all Hallow's Eve

As we are at the end of October and people are celebrating this most unholy of events what is a Christian supposed to do?

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

As a believer I am convinced there is a spirit world. People dressing up as Zombies and Vampires all in the name of "fun" is not good. They hold mock seances and cast spells. They call on dark forces and often get very loose with their morals. The drink flows, the party goes into the wee hours of the morning, and for some it is a chance to do some random vandalism. It is one of the busiest(probably the busiest) times of the year for law enforcement along with the Fire Department. There is lots of violence and general debauchery. Firecrackers and fireworks getting lit continuously with little to no concern for safety. It is quite literally a glimpse of hell.

Then there is what this is teaching the children. I'm not a parent so I don't have to deal with that aspect of it but I feel sympathy for Christian parents. Do you banish your kids from all Halloween activities? I really don't have an answer to that. It would be easy to say yes of course but it seems kind of mean to not allow your daughter to dress up as a princess and get some candy from your neighbours. It is a dilemma. I guess it would have to depend on your situation but I think you have to embrace the good aspects but prepare for it with prayer and protection for you and your little ones.

Then there is the church, do they have a "family fun night" instead of a Halloween party with treats and bobbing for apples and the like. It is a great opportunity for outreach but should a Christian organization be taking advantage of an opportunity the Devil provided? At one time I would have said no but now I believe so. I don't hand out candy only because I don't have the location for it. If I did then I would. Candy really isn't good for you but sometimes you have to let kids be kids. As for having a costume themed party I don't have a problem with it so long as they are in good taste. Dress up as a sports hero, or cowboy or thousands of other non evil characters. There is nothing wrong with dressing up so long as it is appropriate.

So to believers out there I say measure your actions carefully. Don't fall into the Devils trap. To the nonbelievers I say think about what you are doing. Do you really want to be calling the dark forces out? If you do then expect to get what you ask for. A nasty hangover, some regrets and possibly a whole world of hurt.

I don't celebrate the day but I do pray over it.

God bless you and keep you safe!!

No comments:

Post a Comment